General Information on Alprazolam XR
When and How to Take Alprazolam XRGeneral considerations for when and how to take alprazolam XR include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet form. It is usually taken by mouth once daily in the morning.
- Alprazolam XR can be taken with or without food. If the medication bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Because alprazolam XR tablets are extended-release, they should not be crushed, broken, or chewed. Be sure to swallow the tablets whole.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Alprazolam XR may cause serious problems if you take it at higher dosages or for a longer period of time than your healthcare provider recommends (see Xanax Addiction).
Dosing Information for Alprazolam XRThe dose of alprazolam XR that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- Other medications you may be taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your alprazolam XR dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Alprazolam XR Dosing for more information.)
Alprazolam XR Side EffectsAs with any medicine, side effects are possible with alprazolam XR. However, not everyone who takes the drug will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider. Serious side effects are less common.
Some common side effects of alprazolam XR include but are not limited to:
- A sleepy or calming effect (known medically as sedation)
- Memory problems.
(Click Side Effects of Alprazolam XR to learn more, including potentially serious side effects that you should report immediately to your healthcare provider.)
You can also read about specific alprazolam XR side effects in the following eMedTV articles: