Side Effects of Alprazolam XR
Commonly reported side effects of alprazolam XR include drowsiness, memory problems, and fatigue. In most cases, these side effects are minor and can easily be treated. However, certain side effects of the drug may require prompt medical attention. Notify your healthcare provider immediately if you experience more serious alprazolam XR side effects, such as difficulty breathing, hallucinations, or suicidal thoughts.
An Introduction to Side Effects of Alprazolam XRAs with any medicine, side effects are possible with alprazolam XR (Xanax XR®). However, not everyone who takes the medication will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are easily treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with alprazolam XR. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of alprazolam XR side effects with you.)
Common Side Effects of Alprazolam XRAlprazolam XR has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials, in which the side effects of a group of people taking the drug are documented and compared to another group not taking the medicine. As a result, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
In these studies, the most common side effects of alprazolam XR included:
- A sleepy or calming effect (known medically as sedation) -- in up to 45.2 percent of people
- Drowsiness -- up to 23 percent
- Memory problems -- up to 15.4 percent
- Fatigue -- up to 13.9 percent.
Other common alprazolam XR side effects, occurring in 1 to 12 percent of people, included:
- Speech problems
- Coordination problems
- Mental slowing
- Problems concentrating
- Loss of balance
- Unusual sensations, such as numbness, burning, or tingling
- A decreased sex drive or other sexual problems (see Xanax XR Sexual Side Effects)
- Confusion or disorientation
- Changes in appetites
- Dry mouth
- Throat pain
- Weight loss or weight gain (see Xanax XR and Weight Gain)
- Menstrual changes
- Joint pain or muscle pain
- Hot flashes
- Nasal allergies.