An Introduction to Dosing With Anafranil
The dose of Anafranil®
hydrochloride) your healthcare provider prescribes will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may currently be taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Anafranil Dosage for OCD in Adults
For the treatment of obsessive-compulsive disorder
) in adults, the recommended starting Anafranil dose is 25 mg once daily. Your healthcare provider may slowly increase your dosage (to 100 mg for most people) within two weeks. After that, the amount can be increased slowly up to 250 mg per day if necessary.
Anafranil Dosage for OCD in Children and Adolescents
For treating OCD in children and adolescents, the recommended starting dosage is 25 mg once daily. Your child's healthcare provider may slowly increase the amount (up to 100 mg or about 1.4 mg per pound -- whichever is smaller) within two weeks. After that, the amount can be increased slowly if necessary. The maximum dosage for children and adolescents is Anafranil 200 mg or 1.4 mg per pound -- whichever is smaller.
General Information on Taking Anafranil
Some considerations for people taking Anafranil include:
- When you are in the process of increasing your dosage, it is a good idea to split the doses up (for instance, 25 mg twice daily instead of 50 mg once daily) and to take Anafranil with food. This helps to avoid stomach upset and other intestinal problems that can happen when increasing your dose.
- Once you have reached your steady dose (and the risk of stomach upset is lower), your healthcare provider may recommend taking Anafranil once a day at bedtime to avoid drowsiness during the day.
- Anafranil should be taken at the same time(s) each day.
- If you do not take your Anafranil as scheduled, take your missed dose as soon as you remember. However, if you usually take your medication at night, you may not want to make up the missed dose, due to the risk of drowsiness if Anafranil is taken during the day. Also, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the one you missed and continue with your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose of Anafranil.
- For Anafranil to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Anafranil will not work if you take it in a way other than the one prescribed by your healthcare provider.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Anafranil or your Anafranil dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking Anafranil without first discussing it with your healthcare provider. Stopping the medicine abruptly may increase the risk for withdrawal symptoms (see Clomipramine Withdrawal).