Anafranil Side Effects
Most people have no problems with Anafranil. Side effects, if they do occur, are often mild and easily treated. Some of the most common reactions to the drug include dry mouth, drowsiness, and shakiness. Some side effects are potentially serious and should be reported to your healthcare provider, including a fast heart rate, seizures, or suicidal thoughts.
As with any medicine, side effects are possible with Anafranil® (clomipramine hydrochloride). However, not everyone who takes the drug will experience problems. In fact, most people tolerate it well. If people do develop Anafranil side effects, in many cases, they are minor, meaning they require no treatment or are treated easily by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Anafranil. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
Anafranil has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials, in which the side effects of a group of people taking the drug are documented and compared to another group not taking the medicine. As a result, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
In these studies, the common Anafranil side effects included:
- Dry mouth -- occurring in up to 84 percent of people (see Clomipramine and Dry Mouth)
- Drowsiness -- in up to 54 percent
- Shakiness (tremors) -- in up to 54 percent
- Dizziness -- in up to 54 percent
- Headaches -- in up to 52 percent
- Constipation -- in up to 47 percent
- Ejaculation failure -- in up to 42 percent (see Clomipramine Sexual Side Effects)
- Fatigue -- in up to 39 percent
- Nausea -- in up to 33 percent
- Increased sweating -- in up to 29 percent
- Insomnia -- in up to 25 percent
- Heartburn -- in up to 22 percent
- Loss of appetite -- in up to 22 percent
- Changes in sex drive -- in up to 21 percent (see Clomipramine Sexual Side Effects)
- Impotence -- in up to 20 percent.
Withdrawal side effects have been reported in people who have stopped taking Anafranil suddenly. Such problems include nausea, headaches, and a general ill feeling (see Clomipramine Withdrawal).
Other common side effects of Anafranil (occurring in 10 to 19 percent of people) include:
- Weight gain (see Clomipramine and Weight Gain)
- Vision changes
- Urinary (bladder) problems
- Muscle twitching
- Abdominal pain (stomach pain)
- Muscle pain
- Irritated or runny nose
- Increased appetite.