The recommended starting dosage of Ativan for anxiety treatment is 1 mg two to three times daily. When taking Ativan for insomnia due to anxiety, the recommended starting dose is 2 mg to 4 mg once daily at bedtime. Serious problems can occur if you take Ativan at higher dosages or for a longer period of time than your healthcare provider recommends. Your age and other drugs you may be taking are among the factors that can affect the dosing of this medication.
The dose of Ativan® (lorazepam) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- Other medications you may be taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As always, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
The recommended starting dose of Ativan for anxiety treatment is Ativan 1 mg two to three times daily. For insomnia due to anxiety, the recommended starting dose is 2 mg to 4 mg once daily at bedtime.
Elderly people may be more sensitive to the effects of Ativan. For the elderly, the recommended starting dosage is Ativan 0.5 mg to 1 mg twice daily.
Some considerations for people taking Ativan include:
- Ativan comes in tablet, oral liquid, and injectable forms. When used orally, Ativan is usually taken two or three times a day (or sometimes just before bedtime).
- Ativan can be taken with or without food. If Ativan bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Ativan may cause serious problems if you take it at higher dosages or for a longer period of time than your healthcare provider recommends.