Clomipramine and Dry Mouth
There are several side effects of clomipramine, and dry mouth is the most common side effect of the medication. Some suggestions on how to improve a dry mouth include sipping water or sugarless drinks often, avoiding drinks with caffeine, and not using tobacco or alcohol. If these suggestions do not help, there are some things that your healthcare provider can recommend, such as using artificial saliva or changing your medication.
Clomipramine and Dry Mouth: An OverviewA dry mouth is the most common side effect of clomipramine hydrochloride (Anafranil®). Clinical studies have shown that up to 84 percent of adults reported a dry mouth as one of the clomipramine side effects, compared to 17 percent of people who were not taking clomipramine. The studies also showed that up to 63 percent of children and adolescents taking clomipramine reported having a dry mouth.
Clomipramine and Dry Mouth: RecommendationsFor people taking clomipramine, there are some things that you can do to help with a dry mouth. Some of these suggestions include:
- Sip water or sugarless drinks often.
- Sip water or sugarless drinks during meals. This will make chewing and swallowing easier. It may also improve the taste of food.
- Avoid drinks with caffeine, such as coffee, tea, and some sodas. Caffeine can dry out the mouth.
- Don't use tobacco or alcohol; they dry out the mouth.
- Use a humidifier at night.
- Be aware of spicy or salty foods. These may cause pain in a dry mouth.
- Chew sugarless gum or suck on sugarless, hard candy to stimulate saliva flow; cinnamon or mint-flavored candies are good choices.