How to Take Clomipramine Properly
General Clomipramine Dosing InformationSome considerations for people taking clomipramine include:
- When you are in the process of increasing your dose, it is a good idea to split the doses up (for instance, 25 mg twice daily instead of 50 mg once daily) and to take clomipramine with food. This helps to avoid stomach upset and other intestinal problems that can happen when increasing your dose.
- Once you have reached your steady dose (and the risk of stomach upset is lower), your healthcare provider may recommend taking clomipramine once a day at bedtime to avoid drowsiness during the day.
- Clomipramine should be taken at the same time(s) each day.
- If you do not take your clomipramine as scheduled, take your missed dose as soon as you remember. However, if you usually take your dose at night, you may not want to make up the missed dose, due to the risk of drowsiness if clomipramine is taken during the day. Also, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose of clomipramine.
- For clomipramine to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Clomipramine will not work if you take it in another way than prescribed by your healthcare provider.
- If you are unsure about anything related to clomipramine or your clomipramine dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking clomipramine without first discussing it with your healthcare provider. Stopping the medicine abruptly may increase the risk for withdrawal symptoms (see Clomipramine Withdrawal).