General Information on Clomipramine
When and How to Take ItSome considerations for when and how to take clomipramine include the following:
- The medication comes in capsule form. It is taken by mouth, usually one to three times a day.
- You can take clomipramine with or without food, although it is best to take it with food when first starting or increasing your dose.
- Clomipramine should be taken at the same time(s) each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Clomipramine will not work if you stop taking it.
Dosing InformationThe dose of clomipramine your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be taking.
As with any medication, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Clomipramine Dosing for more information.)
Side Effects of ClomipramineAs with any medicine, side effects can occur with clomipramine. However, not everyone who takes it will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate the medication well. If side effects do occur, they are often minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider. Serious side effects are less common.
Common side effects include:
- Dry mouth (see Clomipramine and Dry Mouth)
- Shakiness (tremors)
- Ejaculation failure (see Clomipramine Sexual Side Effects).
(Click Clomipramine Side Effects to learn more, including potentially serious side effects you should report to your healthcare provider.)
You can also read about other possible side effects in the following eMedTV articles: