Generally, the recommended starting clonazepam dosage for treating adults with seizures is 0.5 mg three times a day. For treating panic disorder, the starting clonazepam dosing is typically 0.25 mg twice daily. Your age, other medical conditions you have, and other medications you are taking can affect the clonazepam dose your healthcare provider prescribes.
Clonazepam Dosing: An IntroductionThe dose of clonazepam (Klonopin®) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The medical condition being treated
- Your age
- Other medications you may be taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your clonazepam dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Clonazepam Dosing for Epilepsy
The recommended starting clonazepam dose for treating seizures in adults is clonazepam 0.5 mg (or less) three times daily. Your healthcare provider may slowly increase your dose as necessary to control your seizures, up to a maximum of clonazepam 20 mg total per day (split up into three smaller doses per day).
For infants and children, your child's healthcare provider will calculate the starting clonazepam dose based on your child's weight. As your child grows, higher clonazepam dosages may be necessary.
Clonazepam Dosing for Panic Disorder
The recommended starting clonazepam dose for treating panic disorder is clonazepam 0.25 mg twice daily. Your healthcare provider may increase your dose if necessary to control your panic disorder symptoms.
General Clonazepam Dosing InformationSome considerations for people taking clonazepam include the following:
- Clonazepam comes in tablets and wafers (orally disintegrating tablets). Clonazepam is taken by mouth, usually two or three times daily.
- Clonazepam wafers will rapidly dissolve in your mouth, without any need for water. These wafers are especially useful for children who have difficulty swallowing tablets.
- Clonazepam can be taken with or without food. If clonazepam bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Clonazepam may cause serious problems if you take it in higher dosages or for a longer period of time than your healthcare provider recommends (see Klonopin Addiction).