An Introduction to Clonazepam Side Effects
As with any medicine, side effects are possible with clonazepam
). However, not everyone who takes the medication will have problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are easily treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with clonazepam. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of clonazepam side effects with you.)
Serious Side Effects of Clonazepam
Some side effects with clonazepam, while occurring infrequently, are potentially serious and should be reported immediately to your healthcare provider. These include, but are not limited to:
- Depression (or worsening of existing depression)
- Problems with balance, especially frequent falls (which are especially dangerous in the elderly)
- Suicidal thoughts
- Difficulty breathing
- Memory problems
- Anxiety, excitation, or agitation
- Hostility, aggression, or rage
- Insomnia (see Klonopin and Insomnia)
- Signs of an allergic reaction, including an unexplained rash, hives, itching, and unexplained swelling.