If you take an excessive amount of Compazine, overdose symptoms may occur that could include an irregular heart rhythm, unusual body movements, and intestinal blockage. Treatment for a recent Compazine overdose may include giving certain medicines or "pumping the stomach." Supportive care will be necessary if the drug has already been absorbed into the body. Seek immediate medical attention if you believe you may have overdosed on Compazine.
Part of a group of drugs known as phenothiazines, Compazine® (prochlorperazine maleate) is a prescription medicine that has been licensed to treat the following conditions:
As with all medicines, it is possible for a person to overdose on Compazine. The specific Compazine overdose effects will vary depending on a number of factors, including how much Compazine was taken and whether it was taken with any other medicines, drugs, and/or alcohol.
If a person overdoses on Compazine, the symptoms can vary. Some commonly reported symptoms of an overdose of a phenothiazine (such as Compazine) include:
- Unusual body movements
- An irregular heart rhythm (arrhythmia)
- Low blood pressure (hypotension)
- Dry mouth
- Intestinal blockage.
The treatment for a Compazine overdose will vary. If the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may give certain medicines or place a tube into the stomach to "pump the stomach." Vomiting should not be induced. However, once Compazine has been absorbed into the body, there is no treatment that can remove it quickly. Therefore, in these cases, treatment involves supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options may include:
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV)
- Careful monitoring of the heart rhythm and blood pressure
- Medications for arrhythmias, seizures, or other complications
- Other treatments based on complications that occur.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on Compazine.