Treatment Tips for Doxepin
Some considerations for people taking doxepin include:
- Doxepin should be taken at the same time(s) each day.
- For doxepin capsules and oral solution (for depression or anxiety treatment), your dose can be taken with or without food. If it upsets your stomach, try taking it with food.
- For doxepin tablets (for insomnia treatment), do not take the medication within three hours of a meal.
- If you are experiencing bothersome drowsiness or dizziness with doxepin, ask your healthcare provider about taking your dose at bedtime (instead of during the day). This may help decrease drowsiness or dizziness. Of course, this suggestion only applies to people taking doxepin during the day (for anxiety or depression).
- It often takes several weeks to see the full effects of doxepin for depression. It may begin to work more quickly when used for anxiety. Try to give doxepin a chance to work before becoming discouraged.
- For the antidepressant to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Doxepin will not work if you take it differently than your healthcare provider prescribes.
- If you are unsure about anything related to doxepin or your doxepin dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug for anxiety or depression without first discussing it with your healthcare provider. Stopping the medicine abruptly may increase the risk for withdrawal symptoms (see Doxepin Withdrawal). This probably does not apply to low-dose doxepin used for treating insomnia.