Basic Guidelines for Doxepin
Some considerations for when and how to take the medication include:
- Doxepin comes in capsule, tablet, and liquid form. The capsules and liquid are approved for treating anxiety and depression. The tablets are approved for treating insomnia. For anxiety or depression, the capsules or liquid form can be taken several times a day or all at once before bedtime. For insomnia, the tablets are taken within 30 minutes of bedtime.
- Doxepin capsules (used for treating anxiety and depression) can be taken with or without food. If the medicine upsets your stomach, try taking it with food. However, doxepin tablets should not be taken within three hours of a meal.
- It should be taken at the same time(s) each day to maintain an even level of the medication in your blood.
- For the medicine to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. It will not work if you stop taking it.
The dosage that your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- The medical condition being treated
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may currently be taking.
As with any medication, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Doxepin Dosing for more information about this topic.)