Effexor XR and Dry Mouth: An Overview
Occurring in up to 17 percent of people who take Effexor XR®
), dry mouth is one of the most drug's common side effects. In previous studies, dry mouth was most commonly seen in people taking Effexor
XR for social anxiety disorder
) and was least common in people taking the medication for depression
. It occurred at a rate of 17 percent and 12 percent for these two groups, respectively.
Effexor XR and Dry Mouth: Recommendations
If you are taking Effexor XR and dry mouth becomes a problem, there are some things that you can do. Some suggestions for dealing with dry mouth include:
- Sipping water or sugarless drinks often.
- Sipping water or sugarless drinks during meals. This will make chewing and swallowing easier and may also improve the taste of food.
- Avoiding drinks with caffeine, such as coffee, tea, and some sodas. Caffeine can dry out the mouth.
- Avoiding tobacco or alcohol, which dry out the mouth.
- Using a humidifier at night.
- Being aware of spicy or salty foods, which may cause pain in a dry mouth.
- Chewing sugarless gum or sucking on sugarless hard candy to stimulate saliva flow; cinnamon or mint-flavored candies are good choices.