Effexor XR and Weight Gain
There are a number of possible side effects with Effexor XR, and weight gain is a rare side effect that has been documented in at least 1 percent of patients. There are some things that you can do if you experience weight gain while taking Effexor XR, such as eating a heart-healthy diet, exercising regularly, and limiting your alcohol intake. Your healthcare provider may be able to give you some other suggestions for dealing with any weight gain that may occur.
If you are noticing a weight gain with Effexor XR, there are some things that you can do. Some suggestions include:
- Eating a heart-healthy diet. This diet should include:
- Lots of fruits, vegetables, grains, and fat-free or low-fat milk and milk products
- Lean meats, poultry, fish, beans, eggs, and nuts
- Limited amounts of saturated fats, trans fats, cholesterol, sodium (salt), and added sugars.
- Participating in regular physical activity for at least 30 minutes a day on most days of the week.
- Limiting your intake of alcohol.
(Click BMI Calculator to see if your weight is within a healthy range.)