Treatment Tips for Effexor XR
General Information on Taking Effexor XRSome considerations for people taking Effexor XR include:
- Effexor XR comes in a capsule form that is usually taken once a day. Effexor XR should be taken with food.
- Effexor XR should be taken at the same time each day to maintain even levels of the medicine in your system.
- Do not break, chew, or crush the Effexor XR capsules.
- For people who have trouble swallowing, Effexor XR capsules may be opened and the contents sprinkled on a spoonful of applesauce. Immediately swallow the applesauce whole without chewing.
- If you have liver or kidney problems, your healthcare provider might start you on a lower dose of Effexor XR.
- If you are an older adult, your healthcare provider might start you at a lower Effexor XR dose.
- Abruptly stopping medications like Effexor XR can result in withdrawal symptoms (see Effexor XR Withdrawal for more information).
- For Effexor XR to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Effexor XR will not work if you take it in a way other than how your healthcare provider prescribed it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Effexor XR or your Effexor XR dosage, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking Effexor XR without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.