Treatment Instructions for Effexor XR
When and How to Take Effexor XR
Some general considerations for when and how to take Effexor XR include:
- Effexor XR comes in capsule form. The medicine is taken by mouth once a day.
- Be sure to swallow Effexor XR capsules whole (do not crush, break, or chew the capsules).
- For people who have trouble swallowing, Effexor XR capsules may be opened and the contents sprinkled on a spoonful of applesauce. Immediately swallow the applesauce whole without chewing.
- It is recommended that you take Effexor XR with food.
- Effexor XR should be taken at the same time each day to maintain an even level of the drug in your blood.
- For Effexor XR to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Effexor XR will not work if you stop taking it.
Effexor XR Dosing
The dose of Effexor XR that your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- The medical condition being treated
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As always, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Effexor XR Dosage for more information about dosing for Effexor XR.)