Effexor XR Side Effects
There are a number of side effects that can potentially occur with the use of Effexor XR. Among the most commonly reported side effects are nausea, insomnia, abnormal dreams, and dizziness. Some uncommon Effexor XR side effects include high cholesterol, hair loss, and muscle and bone pain. Make sure to let your healthcare provider know if you develop any side effects, as well as anything that "just does not seem right," while taking Effexor XR.
Effexor XR Side Effects: An Introduction
As with any medicine, there are possible side effects with Effexor XR® (venlafaxine XR); but, not everyone who takes the medicine will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it well. When side effects do occur, in most cases they are minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Effexor XR. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Effexor XR side effects with you.)
Common Side Effects of Effexor XREffexor XR has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occur in a group of people taking the drug are documented and compared to side effects that occur in another group of people not taking the medicine. This way, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
Based on these studies, the most common side effects of Effexor XR include:
- Nausea -- in up to 35 percent of people
- Insomnia -- up to 23 percent (see Effexor XR and Insomnia)
- Loss of appetite -- up to 20 percent (see Does Effexor XR Have Anorexia Effects?)
- Dizziness -- up to 20 percent
- Weakness -- up to 17 percent
- Drowsiness -- up to 17 percent
- Dry mouth -- up to 17 percent (see Effexor XR and Dry Mouth)
- Ejaculation problems -- up to 16 percent (see Sexual Side Effects From Effexor XR)
- Increased sweating -- up to 14 percent
- Nervousness -- up to 11 percent
- Constipation -- up to 10 percent
- Impotence -- up to 10 percent (see Effexor XR and Impotence)
- A decreased sex drive (libido) -- up to 9 percent
- Orgasm problems (in women) 8 percent
- Abnormal dreams -- up to 7 percent
- Weight loss -- up to 7 percent (see Effexor XR and Weight Loss)
- Vision changes -- up to 6 percent
- Diarrhea -- up to 6 percent.
Other common Effexor XR side effects (occurring in 1 percent to 5 percent of people) include but are not limited to:
- Weight gain (see Effexor XR and Weight Gain)
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Shakiness (tremors)
- Flushing (redness of the skin, especially the face)
- Abdominal pain (or stomach pain)
- Abnormal sensations, such as tingling or pricking (paresthesias)
- Muscle tension
- Sinus infections or irritation.