More Details on Fluvoxamine
Effects of FluvoxamineStudies have shown fluvoxamine to be effective for the treatment of OCD in adults, teens, and children. In one study, 30 percent of adults taking the drug felt that their OCD symptoms were "much improved," compared to only 10 percent of those not taking it. In another study, 21 percent of children and teens taking the drug showed "very much improvement" in OCD symptoms, compared to just 11 percent of those not taking it. This study involved children as young as eight years old.
When and How to Take ItSome general considerations for when and how to take fluvoxamine include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet form. It is taken by mouth once or twice daily.
- If you take fluvoxamine just once daily, it is usually best to take it at bedtime.
- You can take the medication with or without food. If fluvoxamine bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Fluvoxamine should be taken at the same time each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Fluvoxamine will not work if you stop taking it.
Dosing InformationThe dose of fluvoxamine your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be taking.
As always, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Fluvoxamine Dosing for more information.)