Anxiety Home > Clomipramine Side Effects
As with any medication, there are possible side effects of clomipramine. Commonly reported problems include dizziness, drowsiness, and shakiness. Most people, however, tolerate the medication well. If you experience more serious side effects, such as hallucinations, seizures, or suicidal thoughts, be sure to report them immediately to your healthcare provider.
An Introduction to Clomipramine Side EffectsAs with any medicine, there are possible side effects with clomipramine hydrochloride (Anafranil®). However, not everyone who takes clomipramine will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate the medication well. When side effects do occur, in many cases they are minor, meaning they require no treatment or are easily treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with this drug. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
Common Side Effects of ClomipramineClomipramine has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials in which the side effects of a group of people taking the drug are documented and compared to another group not taking the medicine. As a result, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
In these studies, common clomipramine side effects included:
- Dry mouth -- occurring in up to 84 percent of people (see Clomipramine and Dry Mouth)
- Drowsiness -- in up to 54 percent
- Shakiness (tremors) -- in up to 54 percent
- Dizziness -- in up to 54 percent
- Headaches -- in up to 52 percent
- Constipation -- in up to 47 percent
- Ejaculation failure -- in up to 42 percent (see Clomipramine Sexual Side Effects)
- Fatigue -- in up to 39 percent
- Nausea -- in up to 33 percent
- Increased sweating -- in up to 29 percent
- Insomnia -- in up to 25 percent
- Heartburn -- in up to 22 percent
- Loss of appetite -- in up to 22 percent
- Changes in sex drive -- in up to 21 percent (see Clomipramine Sexual Side Effects)
- Impotence -- in up to 20 percent.
Withdrawal side effects have been reported in people who have stopped taking clomipramine suddenly. These side effects of clomipramine withdrawal include nausea, headaches, and a general ill feeling (see Clomipramine Withdrawal).
Other common side effects of clomipramine (occurring in 10 to 19 percent of people) include:
- Weight gain (see Clomipramine and Weight Gain)
- Vision changes
- Urinary (bladder) problems
- Muscle twitching
- Abdominal pain (or stomach pain)
- Muscle pain
- Irritated or runny nose
- Increased appetite.