Anxiety Home > Precautions and Warnings With Clomipramine
Prior to taking clomipramine, it is important to know the precautions and warnings of the medication. Some of the precautions and warnings with clomipramine include being aware that there may be an increased risk of suicidal thoughts or behavior while taking this drug, and that it is possible that the drug will affect your concentration. Be sure to talk to your doctor about the specific precautions and warnings that apply to your situation.
Clomipramine: What Should I Tell My Healthcare Provider?You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking clomipramine hydrochloride (Anafranil®) if you have:
- Bipolar disorder or a family history of bipolar disorder (also known as manic depression)
- A history of suicide attempts or suicidal thoughts
- Severe anxiety or agitation
- Had a recent heart attack
- Heart problems, including heart disease
- Liver disease, including liver failure or cirrhosis
- Kidney problems, including kidney failure
- Hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid)
- An adrenal tumor (such as a pheochromocytoma or neuroblastoma)
- Seizures or epilepsy
- Bladder problems or difficulty passing urine
- Any allergies, including allergies to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you:
- Are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
- Are breastfeeding
- Have an upcoming surgery
- Drink alcohol regularly.
Make sure to tell your healthcare provider about all of the medicines you take, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.