Anxiety Home > Important Instructions for Clonazepam
How Does It Work?Clonazepam is part of a group of medications called benzodiazepines. Benzodiazepines have various effects on the body, including:
When and How to Take ClonazepamSome general considerations for when and how to take the medication include the following:
- Clonazepam comes in the form of tablets and wafers (orally disintegrating tablets). The drug is taken by mouth, usually two or three times daily.
- The wafers will rapidly dissolve in your mouth, without any need for water.
- The medication can be taken with or without food. If it bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Clonazepam may cause serious problems if you take it in higher dosages or for a longer period of time than your healthcare provider recommends (see Klonopin Addiction).
Dosing InformationThe dosage that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The medical condition being treated
- Your age
- Other medications you may be taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.