Anxiety Home > Effexor XR and Dry Mouth
If you are using Effexor XR and dry mouth occurs, there are a number of things that you can do. Some suggestions for dealing with a dry mouth include sipping water or sugarless drinks often, using a humidifier at night, and chewing gum or sugarless candy to stimulate saliva flow. In previous studies, dry mouth was documented in 17 percent of people taking Effexor XR to treat social anxiety disorder and 12 percent of people taking the drug for depression.
Effexor XR and Dry Mouth: An OverviewOccurring in up to 17 percent of people who take Effexor XR® (venlafaxine XR), dry mouth is one of the most drug's common side effects. In previous studies, dry mouth was most commonly seen in people taking Effexor XR for social anxiety disorder (social phobia) and was least common in people taking the medication for depression. It occurred at a rate of 17 percent and 12 percent for these two groups, respectively.
If you are taking Effexor XR and dry mouth becomes a problem, there are some things that you can do. Some suggestions for dealing with dry mouth include:
- Sipping water or sugarless drinks often.
- Sipping water or sugarless drinks during meals. This will make chewing and swallowing easier and may also improve the taste of food.
- Avoiding drinks with caffeine, such as coffee, tea, and some sodas. Caffeine can dry out the mouth.
- Avoiding tobacco or alcohol, which dry out the mouth.
- Using a humidifier at night.
- Being aware of spicy or salty foods, which may cause pain in a dry mouth.
- Chewing sugarless gum or sucking on sugarless hard candy to stimulate saliva flow; cinnamon or mint-flavored candies are good choices.