Anxiety Home > Luvox CR and Insomnia
In clinical studies, insomnia was shown to be a common side effect of Luvox CR (fluvoxamine CR). Insomnia was reported in up to 35 percent of people taking the drug for OCD and in up to 32 percent of those taking it for social anxiety disorder. If you are using Luvox CR and insomnia occurs, your healthcare provider may recommend treatment or adjust your dosage.
Insomnia is a common side effect of Luvox® CR (fluvoxamine CR). In studies, up to 35 percent of people taking the drug for obsessive-compulsive disorder experienced insomnia, compared to 20 percent of those taking a placebo (a "sugar pill" with no active ingredients). Up to 32 percent of people taking Luvox CR for social anxiety disorder developed insomnia, compared to just 13 percent of people taking a placebo.
People with insomnia have one or more of the following symptoms:
- Difficulty falling asleep
- Waking up often during the night and having trouble going back to sleep
- Waking up too early in the morning
- Experiencing non-refreshing or unsatisfying sleep.
Some tips for better sleep include:
- Keep a regular sleep-wake cycle. Try to go to bed and wake up at the same time every day, even on the weekends.
- Avoid caffeine, alcohol, and nicotine in the four to six hours before bedtime.
- Don't exercise within two hours of bedtime. Exercising five or six hours before bedtime, however, may help you sleep more soundly.
- Don't eat large meals within two hours of bedtime.
- Don't nap later than 3 p.m.
- Sleep in a dark, quiet room with a comfortable temperature.
- If you can't fall asleep within 20 minutes, do a quiet activity somewhere else and return to bed when you're sleepy.
- Wind down in the 30 minutes before bedtime with a relaxing pre-sleep ritual, such as a warm bath, soft music, or reading.
(Click Good Sleep Habits for more suggestions.)
If these suggestions do not seem to help, you should talk with your healthcare provider. Insomnia can be a symptom of several medical conditions, or it may be associated with serious Luvox CR side effects, such as suicidal thoughts or behavior.