Anxiety Home > Sarafem Side Effects
Runny nose, headache, and nausea are among the most common side effects of Sarafem. Problems that occur less often can include hair loss, congestive heart failure, and diabetes. Although side effects are mostly minor, there are some serious reactions that you should report to your healthcare provider, such as suicidal behavior, hallucinations, or chest palpitations.
Sarafem Side Effects: An IntroductionAs with any medicine, side effects are possible with Sarafem® (fluoxetine hydrochloride). However, not everyone who takes the drug will experience problems. In fact, most people tolerate it well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or can be treated easily by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Sarafem. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Sarafem side effects with you.)
Common Side Effects Seen With SarafemSarafem has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials, in which the side effects of a group of people taking the drug are documented and compared to another group not taking the medicine. As a result, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
In these studies, the most common side effects of Sarafem included:
- An irritated or runny nose -- in up to 23 percent of women
- Headaches -- up to 15 percent
- Nausea -- up to 13 percent
- Loss of appetite -- up to 13 percent
- Weakness -- up to 12 percent
- Weight loss -- up to 12 percent (see Sarafem and Weight Loss)
- Flu-like symptoms, such as chills or fever -- up to 12 percent
- Insomnia -- up to 10 percent (see Sarafem and Insomnia)
- Sore throat -- up to 10 percent
- Pain -- up to 9 percent
- Decreased sex drive -- up to 9 percent (see Sarafem Sexual Side Effects)
- Weight gain -- up to 8 percent (see Sarafem and Weight Gain)
- Accidental injury -- up to 8 percent
- Infection -- up to 7 percent
- Dizziness -- up to 7 percent
- Nervousness -- up to 7 percent
- Difficulty concentrating -- up to 6 percent.