Anxiety Home > Effects of Sertraline and Treatment Tips
- The medication comes in tablets and a liquid form. You take it by mouth -- usually once a day.
- Sertraline oral concentrate (the liquid form) must be diluted before each use. Measure the correct amount, then mix it with 4 ounces (half a cup) of water, ginger ale, lemon-lime soda, lemonade, or orange juice. Do not mix it with any other beverages. Also, mix the oral concentrate immediately before taking it -- do not prepare it far ahead of the time you intend to take it.
- You can take sertraline with or without food. If the medication bothers your stomach, taking it with food may help.
- If sertraline causes insomnia, try taking it in the morning. If the medication makes you drowsy, try taking it before bedtime.
- Take your dosage at the same time each day. This will help maintain an even level in your blood.
- For sertraline to work properly, you must take it as prescribed. The medication will not work if you stop taking it.