How to Get Started

OCD Treatment and Coexisting Conditions

It is common for an anxiety disorder like OCD to be accompanied by another anxiety disorder or another illness. Other conditions that a person can have along with OCD include an eating disorder or alcohol or drug abuse. Any of these problems will need to be treated as well, ideally at the same time as the OCD.

Finding Help for OCD

If you or someone you know has possible symptoms of OCD, a visit to the family physician is usually the best place to start. A physician can help determine whether the symptoms are due to an anxiety disorder, some other medical condition, or both. Frequently, the next step in treating OCD is referral to a mental health professional.
Among the professionals who can help are:
  • Psychiatrists
  • Psychologists
  • Social workers
  • Counselors.
However, it's best to look for a professional who has specialized training in cognitive behavioral therapy and/or behavioral therapy, as appropriate, and who is open to the use of medications, should they be needed.
As stated earlier, psychologists, social workers, and counselors sometimes work closely with a psychiatrist or other physician, who will prescribe medications when they are required.
It's important that you feel comfortable with the therapy that the mental health professional suggests. If this is not the case, seek help elsewhere. However, if you've been taking medication, it's important not to discontinue it abruptly, as stated before. Certain drugs have to be tapered off under the supervision of your physician.
Remember, though, that when you find a healthcare professional that you're satisfied with, the two of you are working as a team. Together, you will be able to develop a treatment plan for OCD that may involve medications, behavioral talk therapy, or both, as appropriate.
You may be concerned about paying for treatment. If you belong to a health maintenance organization (HMO) or have some other kind of health insurance, the costs of your treatment may be fully or partially covered. There are also public mental health centers that charge people according to how much they are able to pay. If you are on public assistance, you may be able to get care through your state Medicaid plan.
Drink Less Alcohol

Facts About OCD

Terms of Use
Advertise with Us
Contact Us
About eMedTV
Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2006-2019 Clinaero, Inc.
eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.