Paxil Side Effects
Insomnia, headache, and constipation are among the most common side effects reported with Paxil. Rare side effects include muscle pain, sore throat, and bladder problems. While side effects are typically minor, certain side effects of Paxil may require medical attention. Notify your healthcare provider immediately if you develop hallucinations, fast heart rate, or suicidal thoughts.
Paxil Side Effects: An Introduction
As with any medicine, side effects are possible with Paxil® (paroxetine hydrochloride); however, not everyone who takes the medicine will have problems. In fact, most people tolerate it well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or can be easily treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Paxil. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Paxil side effects with you.)
Common Side Effects of Paxil
Paxil has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occur in a group of people taking the drug are documented and are then compared to side effects that occur in another group of people not taking the medicine. As a result, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
In these studies, the most common side effects of Paxil included:
- Ejaculation problems -- in up to 28 percent of people (see Paxil Sexual Side Effects)
- Nausea -- up to 26 percent
- Insomnia -- up to 24 percent
- Drowsiness -- up to 24 percent
- Weakness -- up to 22 percent
- Dry mouth -- up to 18 percent
- Headache -- up to 18 percent
- Constipation -- up to 16 percent
- Decreased sex drive (libido) -- up to 15 percent
- Increased sweating -- up to 14 percent
- Dizziness -- up to 14 percent
- Diarrhea -- up to 12 percent
- Shakiness (tremor) -- up to 11 percent.
Other common side effects (reported in 5 to 9 percent of people) included:
- Loss of appetite (see Paxil and Weight Loss)
- Impotence (erectile dysfunction or ED)
- Painful menstrual cramps